[chef] goiardi 0.8.0 & shovey

  • From: Jeremy Bingham < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] goiardi 0.8.0 & shovey
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 16:24:56 -0700

Just in time for Chef Summit, I'd like to announce the release of goiardi 0.8.0 "Hojotoho! Hojotoho!". This release brings "shovey", a goiardi facility for running jobs on nodes without a chef-client run. It's similar to Chef Push, although the implementation is rather different - shovey is built into goiardi, rather than running in a separate push-server, and it uses serf to send its commands out rather than polling zeromq.

Shovey with goiardi isn't very useful without a way to execute or manage the jobs, which is why there is also schob 0.1.0 "Heiaha! Heiaha!", the shovey client, and knife-shove 0.6.0 "Helmwige! Hier!", a knife plugin forked from knife-push to manage shovey jobs.

There are releases:

And there is documentation:

Blog post is at https://github.com/ctdk/knife-shove/blob/master/README.rdoc. A better cookbook for the shovey client, and a cookbook for goiardi itself, are coming soon.

Thanks, and if you're coming to the Summit I'll see you there.

-j