[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dependency solver overloaded issue

  • From: Peter Burkholder < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dependency solver overloaded issue
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:35:23 -0400

You may have just too many cookbooks. I wrote something up on this a couple of months ago:

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Ranjib Dey < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

we had hit similar issues due to circular dependency. After we started vendoring our cookbooks with berks, around in Berkshelf 2.0 era it used to allow declaring circular dependencies via transitive dependencies. Berkshelf 3 fixed it.

regards
ranjib

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Daniel DeLeo < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

On Monday, October 20, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Sean Clemmer wrote:

> Thanks guys. I believe it's just a thundering herd problem we're inflicting upon ourselves--we run chef-client manually on our entire infrastructure at once--just seems to have gotten worse with Chef Server 11. I'll look into tuning and pruning

A quick note about that—in Chef 10 server, the dep solver ran in the ruby server process(es), so the number of workers was the number of unicorn workers (or whatever ruby web server you might have used). On the same hardware, you should be able to get identical performance (though I’d expect it to be better since we get better IO perf out of Postgres).

--
Daniel DeLeo