[chef] Re: Chef client vs chef-dk

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Chef client vs chef-dk
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 22:49:00 -0800

chef-dk is chef-client + other chef related tools (berkshelf, test-kitchen, foodcritic etc). chef-dk also provides the chef command (currently it provides scaffolding and gem installation [1]). If you are not familiar with ruby, you might find chef-dk easier to deal with. If you are already familiar with ruby/bundler it should not matter much (infact you might be able to get more customized things by raw chef-client + bundler,, i have painful experience from vagrant's plugin in past ). chef-dk will also fasten then installation process (since its omnibus), this also means you have to install it as root, unlike the chef-client which can be installed as normal user (for development workstations).

[1]https://www.getchef.com/blog/2014/04/15/chef-development-kit/