[chef] Ohai Plugins not ready.

  • From: Douglas Garstang < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Ohai Plugins not ready.
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 14:03:00 -0800

Trying to use a custom ohai plugin.

My run list includes the ohai cookbook at the very top. The custom plugin drops a list of host names into an array called mongodb_replicas, as reported by the ohai command:

  "mongodb_replicas": [
    "mongo-shard1-021.test.slicetest.com",
    "mongo-shard1-022.test.slicetest.com",
    "mongo-shard1-023.test.slicetest.com",
  ]

I brought up several instances and all of them failed in the template that uses the attribute saying it was nil. However, the mongodb_replicas array is populated when I run the ohai command. If I run the chef-client a second time, everything is ok.

I was under the impression (and it seems to have worked this way before), that ohai plugins where installed at the start of the chef run, and their data should therefore be available to all recipes? Am I missing a config option somewhere?

Doug.

  • [chef] Ohai Plugins not ready., Douglas Garstang, 12/03/2014