[chef] Re: Re: Re: Defining attributes for cookbook in recipe has different behavior than attributes from roles

  • From: William Jimenez < >
  • To:
  • Cc: Galen Emery < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Defining attributes for cookbook in recipe has different behavior than attributes from roles
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 19:14:17 -0800

I'm trying to configure an exception handler to receive notification when a chef run fails. I'm using the opscode cookbook chef-client to define this exception handler in the client.rb file of each chef node.

I expect when I call chef-client::config it to modify the client.rb to contain the following:

["chef/handler/mail"].each do |lib|
  begin
    require lib
  rescue LoadError
    Chef::Log.warn "Failed to load #{lib}. This should be resolved after a chef run."
exception_handlers << MailHandler.new()

and it does this just fine when I define the attributes in the role of a given node. But when I try to define the attributes in the recipe instead, it doesn't add the above changes to client.rb, only builds the file with the default settings.

The role has this defined in it (under the default attributes):

    "chef_client": {
      "config": {
        "exception_handlers": [
          {