[chef] Re: ruby cookbook

  • From: Joshua Timberman < >
  • To: Chef users < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: ruby cookbook
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:53:23 -0700

I forgot to mention that in the 1.0 release, the cookbook will drop special support for Ruby 1.8.

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Joshua Timberman < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Ohai Chefs!

I wanted to let everyone know that CHEF is going to maintain the `ruby` cookbook[0]. We're going to use this in earnest for a variety of internal projects, and we will have updates, primarily in the form of creating a resource/provider for managing Ruby installation in a cross-platform and cross-implementation manner.

We'll do what we can to maintain backwards compatibility, and fix some outstanding bugs. The tentative plan is:

1. Release a 0.9.3 version that addresses outstanding bugs and ensures compatibility with Chef 12.
2. Release a 1.0 version that is considered stable, which will introduce a new resource/provider.
3. Release a 2.0 version that is also considered stable, which will likely remove the current recipes, and include additional providers. We'll probably also remove the definitions at this point, as the recipes are the main thing that leverage them.

There's a lot of different ways to install Ruby across a lot of different operating systems. We want this to be as flexible feature complete as is reasonable, but we cannot possibly support every single possibility. Actionable things will be tracked as issues on the ruby cookbook repository[1], so watch the project if you want to keep up to date.

Cheers,
Joshua

  • [chef] ruby cookbook, Joshua Timberman, 12/19/2014
    • [chef] Re: ruby cookbook, Joshua Timberman, 12/19/2014