[chef] Re: JSON Role files, attributes, and variable interpolation

  • From: Noah Kantrowitz < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: JSON Role files, attributes, and variable interpolation
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 11:07:30 -0800

No, nor would this work in the ruby format. Role data must be purely static. You can do things like this in cookbooks though.

--Noah

On December 30, 2014 at 10:41:15 AM PST, Mark Selby < > wrote:
I use JSON based role files and for better or worse use them often  for attribute definition.

I have recently tried to perform variable interpolation like this

    "default_attributes": {
        "foo": {
            "server": "extra.#{node['fqdn']}"
          }

I was not surprised that this DID NOT work and that I got 'extra.#{node['fqdn']}' rather than an interpolated string.

Is there any way to interpolate in JSON role files?

Thanks