[chef] in-house berks-api cookbook naming conflicts

  • From: Koert Kuipers < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] in-house berks-api cookbook naming conflicts
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 14:00:29 -0500

i just set up an in-house berks-api. its pretty neat!

in Berksfile i now do:
source "http://chef.my.organization:26200"
source "https://supermarket.getchef.com"

my only issue is that we have some inhouse cookbooks that have the same name as the ones on the supermarket. for example we have a kafka cookbook. i used to do:
cookbook "kafka", path: "../kafka"
but now that i have an inhouse berks-api i would like to just say:
cookbook "kafka"
and have it download from our chef server. unfortunately this means it downloads another cookbook from supermarket which has the same name and a newer version.

i tried doing:
cookbook "kafka", source: "http://chef.my.organization:26200"
but that didn't work.

any suggestions? i would like to avoid having to rename all our inhouse cookbooks.
i also find this behaviour somewhat dangerous since i dont control supermarket. so if i have cookbook x and a week later someone adds cookbook x to supermarket without me being aware of it my cookbook could get suddenly clobbered.

thanks! koert