[chef] Chef Server Install

  • From: Douglas Garstang < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Chef Server Install
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 15:32:57 -0800

I'm trying to install the latest version of the Chef Server. Used to be that once installed, you'd point your web browser to it and configure away.

Seems it's been replaced by a bunch of command line stuff now, documented at https://docs.chef.io/install_server.html.

There's a whole lot of context missing.

What is an organisation exactly?
Do I need to add the admin user, or is that automatic now?
What happens after I run these commands? Do I THEN go to the web console to finish configuration?
Where do I get the validation private key from?
What if I want to generate a robot user that doesn't have an email address or a last name?

I tried to add the admin user and was told "Response: User 'admin' already exists". So, then I tried to create the org and associate the admin user with the admins group as the documentation says and was told "Response: Could not find user admin".

You can probably see why this all might be a little confusing.

Doug