[chef] Sharing state across an environment

  • From: Dwayne Forehand < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Sharing state across an environment
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:03:23 -0800

I've got internal and external webserver roles.  In my internal run list I have a recipe for a web service which sets a node attribute with that services end point.  I've got other web app recipes later in the internal run list that use that web service end point attribute in configuring the web apps.  I also have a recipe in the external web server role that wants to discover the end point for that web service, but I'm not sure how to access the other nodes attributes or even if I should.

Is there a way that I can set the web service end point attribute at an environment level and have my recipes access it from there?  Is there a better way to handle this need?

Thanks,
Dwayne