[chef] chef version with chef exec rspec

  • From: Ben Roling < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] chef version with chef exec rspec
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 21:00:58 +0000

I'm just finally trying out ChefDK for the first time and when running unit tests on one of my cookbooks I notice warnings like the following:

.[2015-01-29T14:47:55-06:00] WARN: The on_platforms option to node_map has been deprecated

When I tracked this message down to coming from 'node_map.rb' in the chef gem, I noticed it was from Chef 12.

That got me to thinking -- how am I supposed to define the Chef version I want my unit tests to run against?  I just assumed they would run against the Chef version dictated by the ChefDK version I was using (0.3.4 in this case to target Chef 11.16.4).

And more generally, how exactly am I supposed to run the tests?

At first I simply ran 'chef exec rspec' (or chef shell-init and then just 'rspec').

I guess first question is, is that how I am supposed to run them?

I was able to control the Chef version by specifying it in my Gemfile and running 'chef exec bundle update' and 'chef exec bundle exec rspec', but I'm not sure I am really supposed to be doing that?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben