[chef] Re: Re: Re: [Chef] Communcation: MyApp-ChefClient-ChefSrver-ChefClients

  • From: Ranjib Dey < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: [Chef] Communcation: MyApp-ChefClient-ChefSrver-ChefClients
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 20:12:43 -0800

1. pushy is chef push jobs :-) . if your app is written in ruby you can use the chef library itself to access chef server, it provides a CRUD api for all domain objects(node, role, environment etc), a search query api etc. If you are writing applications in go the go-chef can be used to do similar actions. Noah one of our awesome community member wrote python binding for chef, jcloud has a java binding also  (and i think an android app is also there). All of these library allows you to do the communication with chef server rest API  (i.e. auth headers, http, json handling etc). Depending upon what stack you are choosing to your custom SDK you can choose one of these, to those crud stuff or search query.

2. You can extend chef-client in many ways, some popular ones are:
a) cookbook -recipes
b) lwrp/hwrp - resource providers
a) report and exception handlers
b) event handlers - execute your custom logic during certain time in chef run life cycle.
c) custom knife plugins - build custom CLI tools that involves talking with chef server

Recipes and cookbooks are actually an extension of chef (since they are eval-ed).
The example you have given can be done by standard resource provider itself , the database cookbook offers user and db as resources.
If the intention of db alteration means a configuration, and you want to keep it consistent across your infra you can offer them as resource/providers. Depending upon what task you want to do you have to choose the extension mechanism. Like earlier someone was asking about displaying version specific recipe usage across the nodes. Knife will be perfect for the display/cli part, and an event handler can gather the custom data and save back as a node attribute

3) chef client can only post back data about itself. So it can save any update about itself. I wont call this as event transmission though. Neither i am aware of anyway to retransmit chef-server changes via chef-client.

Note: all these experience is based on opensource chef server, push jobs and other chef-server add-on might be providing more stuff, but i have never used them.

Most of the earlier orchestration frameworks i have mentioned are opensource :-), as long as they solve new challenges, that can not be easily done by existing solutions, i think its fine, as otherwise you'll end up rolling your own any way.