[chef] RE: RE: Re: Using chef solo to aws distribute keys

  • From: Kevin Keane Subscription < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] RE: RE: Re: Using chef solo to aws distribute keys
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 23:24:16 -0800

Title: RE: [chef] RE: Re: Using chef solo to aws distribute keys

Obviously, a very common problem. And often a very hard one. Here are some suggestions:

- Encrypted data bags work with chef solo, too. You could copy the data bag key to the computer before the chef run, and delete it once chef solo has converged (be sure to write the code to access the data bag to ignore a missing key, rather than flame out).

- In some cases, you can eliminate the use of credentials altogether, and improve security at the same time. I'm thinking of Nagios in particular. Sometimes, credentials are unavoidable, but very often, you might be better off using a different mechanism (my Nagios relies heavily on passive checks running in a restricted account that can only access the information it needs via sudo with a carefully crafted sudoers file. Also, check by SSH can be an option).

- For SSH, distribute the keys outside of chef. You usually would have to do that only once. Of course, in very large systems, or for frequently spinning machines up or down, you may run into scalability issues here.

- For TLS certificates, I only distribute the public key via chef, and the private key manually.

- You can make distributing TLS and SSH private keys part of your bootstrap process - whatever mechanism you use to install chef-solo can also either generate the private keys, or copy them from wherever you generate them.

Kevin Keane

The NetTech

http://www.4nettech.com

Our values: Privacy, Liberty, Justice