[chef] Re: Re: knife-windows 0.8.4 release

  • From: Bryan McLellan < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: knife-windows 0.8.4 release
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 08:34:57 -0500

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 7:49 AM, < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Is there a way to bootstrap windows node and initially set up chef-client to be run as a service?
Without running "chef-service-manager -a install" and "chef-service-manager -a start" on node side afterwards.

No there is not. In the past we've recommended doing that with a cookbook on the initial run, because there are so many ways to do it on other platforms it doesn't make sense to add them all to the core client. However, that logic is built into the MSI, and Windows really only has one common way to do it. I've created an issue for that consideration: https://github.com/opscode-cookbooks/windows/issues/182

Of course, you can use the chef-client::windows_service recipe [1] to enable the service for you on the first run currently.

Bryan