[chef] stdout poisoning in knife commands

  • From: Ed Ropple < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] stdout poisoning in knife commands
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 12:15:47 -0500

Hi,

So a big problem I keep running into with `knife`, as I move away from habitual chef-solo/chef-zero use and into an environment with a Chef server, is a lot of stdout poisoning from these commands. It's very nonstandard for something like 'knife search' to emit unrelated text, such as "N items found", on stdout. It makes it much harder than it needs or, to be honest, _ought_ to be to work with Chef, and it's a real drag. Are there any plans for better stdout/stderr discipline during the Chef 12 lifecycle?

Thanks,
Ed