[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Creating a user on a UNIX box with an encrypted hash for a password

  • From: ANGELA EBIRIM < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Creating a user on a UNIX box with an encrypted hash for a password
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 12:22:48 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

As an update to my question, I think that I may have answered it.

Ubuntu 14.04 only accepts /etc/shadow compatible passwords so passwords generated using an MD5 algorithm weren't accepted on my Vagrant box (I had a strange error of useradd: invalid field '$1$In9NKSDS$9FIGx4T.aOWq6CZfkkWkO). I had to generate the password using mkpassword so in my recipe instead of using %x(openssl passwd -1 "#{plain_pass}"), I would instead use %x(mkpasswd -m sha512) and ensure that I installed whois package as part of my recipe on the Ubuntu box (This will install mkpasswd on your ubuntu box).

You can now do a su  svc_goagent and use London2014 (in my case decrypted password) and you will be authenticated.

Regards

Sent from iCloud