[chef] Chef + Custom DSC Resources

  • From: Curtis Stewart < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Chef + Custom DSC Resources
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 19:38:37 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Ohai Chef Community!

I'm planning on designing a cookbook that uses some custom DSC resources.  Matt Wrock has an excellent example (https://github.com/mwrock/dsc_nugetserver) using dsc_* Chef resources, but the actual DSC resources all come from the DSC Resource Kit.

I'm looking for a few things in particular when it comes to using custom DSC resources:

  1. ​Do I need both Chef Server (host cookbooks) + DSC Pull Server (host custom DSC resources)?
  2. Is the use of a *.ps1 configuration file required when using DSC resources in cookbooks?
  3. Is it fair to draw comparisons of developing a DSC resource to developing an LWRP?
    1. If so, how are dependent DSC resources pulled in to a recipe for use?  LWRPs have the advantage of either being part of the cookbook itself or dependent cookbooks.

Thanks for any help/suggestions/support!

- Curtis