[chef] Server 500 errrors from knife environment show

  • From: John McMeeking < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Server 500 errrors from knife environment show
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:36:28 -0500

I've noticed occasional messages like the following when running commands like "knife environment show":

   ERROR: Server returned error 500 for https://myserver:14443/organizations/ibm/environments/test-env, retrying 1/5 in 4s

The command completes after this retry, but it was run from a tool that uses the command to capture the output and process it as JSON file.  The error is logged to stdout, and thus appears in the JSON file.  The error is not frequent - I might see it once before tearing the system down and reinstalling chef-server for another round of testing.

I started seeing these after we moved to chef server 12.0.5 from chef server 11.

Given that the retry is successful, should this should be logged to the console?  Does this reflect a problem that needs fixing - either in chef, or something in our environments?

John  M
IBM