[chef] Re: What is file_backup_path?

  • From: Brandon Raabe < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: What is file_backup_path?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 19:57:18 -0700

When Chef makes changes to the file system, the files that are changed are backed up by default. That location is where this backup is stored. They are there as a fail-safe, in case the changes that were put in place were made in error. This allows you to recover the previous version of the file.

I've not had the backup cache fill up on me before, but you can tune the number of backups that are kept per resource. I don't see a way to configure a backup count globally, but it can be limited on individual resources using the backup attribute. By default the backup count is set to 5.

File

Remote File

Cookbook File

Template