[chef] Re: Re: chef-run failure for a custom recipe

  • From: niristotle okram < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: chef-run failure for a custom recipe
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 10:10:37 -0700

thanks, let me try with an aws instance type: m3.medium where the n/w performance is moderate. If this fails, i will check if i can find where the timeout of 60secs is set in the cookbook.

ps: i love chef but Ruby is not by best fren yet :)

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 8:30 AM, Daniel DeLeo < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 10:08 PM, niristotle okram wrote:

> i have this recipe for jenkins and i am trying to use it on an aws node for some test. i am using using chef-solo & knife-sole.
>
> The point of failure is in this part of the recipe (the highlighted)

> Error executing action `create` on resource 'jenkins_private_key_credentials[user_build]'
>
> Mixlib::ShellOut::CommandTimeout
> --------------------------------
> Command timed out after 60s:
> Command exceeded allowed execution time, process terminated
> ---- Begin output of "/usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java" -jar "/var/chef/cache/jenkins-cli.jar" -s http://localhost:8080 -i "/var/chef/cache/jenkins-key" groovy /tmp/groovy20150505-27740-1o9e28c ----
> STDOUT:
> STDERR:
> ---- End output of "/usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java" -jar "/var/chef/cache/jenkins-cli.jar" -s http://localhost:8080 -i "/var/chef/cache/jenkins-key" groovy /tmp/groovy20150505-27740-1o9e28c ----
> Ran "/usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java" -jar "/var/chef/cache/jenkins-cli.jar" -s http://localhost:8080 -i "/var/chef/cache/jenkins-key" groovy /tmp/groovy20150505-27740-1o9e28c returned 143

This command is not returning after 60s, and it’s not producing any output to explain why. If you expect that the command _should_ take longer than 60s, then you need to increase the timeout (you might have to edit the cookbook’s provider code for this). If the command is supposed to run in a much shorter time, then there’s probably a network issue where the packets are getting silently dropped (this is common behavior for firewalls, in order to make port scans slower/less reliable, but there’s other ways this behavior can occur also). Of course a network issue seems a lot less likely on localhost.

--
Daniel DeLeo

--
Regards