[chef] Re: Grouping servers for an environment

  • From: Drew Blessing < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Grouping servers for an environment
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 17:26:47 -0500

I'm sure you'll receive varied responses, but I personally have nothing against roles. My recommendation would be to use roles but limit the run list items and attributes you set there. We limit our role run lists to 2 entries - one referencing our 'base' role and one pointing at our wrapper cookbook recipe for whatever application the node will run - for example, 'mycompany_apache::default'. We also try to limit the attributes we set in a role and instead prefer to set attributes in environments.