[chef] Best Practice in updating a zipped joomla config file

  • From: Joseph Djomeda < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Best Practice in updating a zipped joomla config file
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 18:49:02 +0000

Hello Guys,

I am trying to figure out things as I learn a little more in chef. I am sorry if this is still basic for you gurus :) , it's because I learn effectively by doing.

I posted in another thread decision that has to be taken between hosted chef and aws opsworks. In any case nodes are in aws.

joomla site is zipped from staging server outside aws made accessible via http. Since it's a copy from a different environment its configuration.php file has details of user,password,db,hostname,logs and tmp path on staging environment.
To update that in production, I am to do search_file_replace_line or use a full template and replace the one from staging env? I am thinking the latter make sense but, it also means , I will need to keep the configuration.php.erb for example updated as joomla releases a new version with a slightly different configuraiton.php file. I am not too sure how these things are done when it comes to maintain the version of joomla through the configuration in the template.

Thank you in advance

--
Joseph Kodjo-Kuma Djomeda
check out my pains at : www.mycodingpains.com