[chef] Re: Re: Chef 10 -> 12 upgrade (cookbook scorched earth)

  • From: Erik Ogan < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Chef 10 -> 12 upgrade (cookbook scorched earth)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 13:00:22 -0700

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Lamont Granquist < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On 07/14/2015 07:50 AM, Erik Ogan wrote:

  * What are the perils of serving a Chef 12 client data from a Chef 10 server?

So you probably want to do this the other way around.  Hosted Chef still serves Chef 10 clients from a Chef-12 codebase fine so that is currently in production use and will work.

Thanks! That was my original assumption, I probably should have led with it. Instead I ordered the list by how disruptive they would end up being.

There are going to be gotchas in upgrading from old private chef through EC10/EC11, and you will not be able to do that in one upgrade, but I'm not an expert on which versions you should target. You should reach out to Chef support for help with that one, they can dig up the right resources to directly help you with that.

Oh, yes, that’s also an excellent suggestion. Now that I’ve completed my greenfield spike of trying to port some cookbooks over to 12, we should probably do that process before we go any further down this path.

I’ll post a wrap-up if we find anything interesting that might help anyone else in the future.

-e