[chef] Policyfiles and chef provision

  • From: Chris Sibbitt < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Policyfiles and chef provision
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 13:29:44 -0400

I've been experimenting with policyfile support lately, and I'm hoping someone can clarify some thinking around policyfile support in the "chef provision" command.

`chef provision POLICY_GROUP --policy-name POLICY_NAME` lets me specify ONE policyfile and run a provisioning recipe. Policyfiles define a run_list, but one of my typical chef-provisioning recipes contains multiple machines with different run_lists.

I'm not sure whether to take this as a suggestion that provisioning recipes should only do one machine each, or whether the tooling is just not quite meshing yet (I'm aware it's all very new and beta), or whether there is something conceptual missing from my thinking.

Anyone else experimenting with this combination yet?