[chef] AIX service idempotency

  • From: Alan Thatcher < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] AIX service idempotency
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 22:22:25 +0000

Hello,

I have been working with Chef for only a few weeks, and only used it on RHEL nodes up until now.  Today I started working on the AIX pieces of my cookbooks.  One thing I have noticed so far is that the "service" idempotency does not seem to be the same for AIX as it is for linux.  For instance, when I create an LWRP such as:

service "xntpd" do
  supports :restart => true
  action [ :start ]
end

Everything functions as expected, except that the chef-client run always spits out the message that it started the service.  I have verified that the service is indeed running with lssrc -s xntpd before running the cookbook through.

I assume that this is a known thing.  My question is, how can I "fix" this for now.  I tried the method of adding an only_if, however, that stopped the :restart directive i gave it for when the /etc/ntp.conf file was updated.  I looked as best I could ( being new to Chef and Ruby ), and I did see where there was a lssrc check in  chef::provider::service::aix.  I obviously don't want to modify, and thus maintain that modification across upgrades, the Chef provided code.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

-Alan