[chef] Re: Re: 400 bad request

  • From: Michael Pereira < >
  • To: , Daniel DeLeo < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: 400 bad request
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:20:10 -0400

From this stack trace, it looks like you’re re-using a client/node name that already exists on the server. Some recent changes to the API have made this raise a different error than it used to, but it wouldn’t have worked before. The best way to deal with this is to delete the "client-machine” client and node on the server before you bootstrap a new one.

We will look at making a change to have this produce a clearer error (I think the error message was much better in the past).

You're right, good catch from the minimal stack trace!  I managed to find the correct error in the long debug output :

[2015-08-10T13:51:53-04:00] DEBUG: ---- HTTP Response Body ----
[2015-08-10T13:51:53-04:00] DEBUG: {"error":["Client already exists"]}
[2015-08-10T13:51:53-04:00] DEBUG: ---- End HTTP Response Body -----

Now the interesting part is that this node does not show up in the knife node list command output. I removed the chef-client rpm and delete the content under /etc/chef/ before trying to use the cloned machine with chef but I'm not sure if it is not picking up the original machine private key from somewhere else and sending it to the server.

Regards,
Michael