[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Re: Re: can Chef be used to alert manual changes?

  • From: Yoshi Spendiff < >
  • To: chef < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Re: Re: can Chef be used to alert manual changes?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 08:56:54 -0700

You mean like this? ;)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chef+audit+mode

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 8:29 AM, Ranjib Dey < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 8:04 AM, Medya < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Julian, any example of Chef Audit mode?

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Julian C. Dunn < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

You could also use Chef Audit Mode and write a test that does something like expect "java -version" to return 6.x and if it returns 7, it would alert you.

- Julian

If you re-run chef-client on a node that has had a previously-successful chef-client run, it will re-converge the necessary cookbook(s) to put the node into the desired state. In you example, the original cookbook that installed java will detect that a different java has been (manually) installed, and re-install its java version. You can write report handlers to send a notification (email?) if a cookbook converged.

Chris