[chef] Introducing Supermarket 2.0.0!

  • From: Nell Shamrell < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Introducing Supermarket 2.0.0!
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 14:38:14 -0700

Greetings!

I am happy to report that we have just released Supermarket 2.0.0!  The Supermarket - both the public and private versions - continues to evolve to the needs of the Chef community.

As you might guess from the major version bump, this version contains a potentally breaking change.  This only occurs on private Supermarkets - those that use the supermarket-omnibus package for their installs.  We have added in the ability to to disable ssl through a new environmental attribute: [‘ssl’][‘enabled’].

New Supermarket installs will have [‘ssl’][‘enabled’] set to true by default.  However, if you are using an existing Supermarket install and wish to continue using ssl when you upgrade to Supermarket 2.0.0, you will need to explicitly set [‘ssl’][‘enabled’] to true.

With this change, we are now using the Supermarket omnibus install to run the public Supermarket site as well as private Supermarkets.  The Supermarket omnibus install is the only officially supported way to run a private Supermarket.  Irving Popovetsky’s Supermarket Omnibus Cookbook is now the best cookbook to use for installing Supermarket.   Therefore, I am now deprecating the old Supermarket cookbook.  Just in case anyone else would like to still use and maintain the old cookbook, I have placed it up for adoption on Supermarket.

Here are some additional features included with Supermarket 2.0

- Updated docs for making an admin user

- Updates of select gems

- Admins can now add collaborators to a cookbook

- Better documentation of how private keys are used with Supermarket, debugging private Supermarket installs,

- Added link to feedback.chef.io [https://feedback.chef.io]

- Removed download counts from views

- Enhanced adoption emails so they include more useful and helpful information when someone wants to adopt a cookbook

- Added documentations around mail services when running private Supermarket

As always, feel free to reach out to the Supermarket team via issues on the Github repo or by emailing me, your friendly Supermarket engineer, at "> !

--

  • [chef] Introducing Supermarket 2.0.0!, Nell Shamrell, 08/17/2015