[chef] Re: Re: Lazy Attributes outside of resource blocks

  • From: Sean OMeara < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Cc: Mathew Crane < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Lazy Attributes outside of resource blocks
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 11:58:47 +0200

The root of the problem is that a chef-client run has one massive "top level" compile-and-converge cycle.

Chef doesn't "move on to the next cookbook", or even recipe, it moves onto the next resource.

Until we have a first-class way to have multiple compile/converge cycles during a chef-client run, I'd say the sanest thing to do in this *specific* case would be to rely on multiple chef-client runs.

That, or re-baseline your starting machine state to the new point release.

Playing the converge-time arms race game destroys cookbook reuse by forcing you to modify all your code, creates massive amounts of confusion, and completely breaks the notifications and subscriptions.

-s