[chef] Re: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: docker cookbook and idempotency

  • From: Yonah Russ < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: docker cookbook and idempotency
  • Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 06:41:58 +0000

+1 on switching to subscribes.
I never used it until trying to work with docker and chef but it does the trick nicely.

Yonah

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015, 11:36 Sean OMeara < "> > wrote:
You still have full control over the sequencing... you just need to be aware that they're queued up and will run at the end of the chef-client run.

It sounds like you're going to end up with a healthy amount of notification / subscription chaining.

context-1 notifies -> image
context-2 notifies -> image
context-3 notifies -> image

image notifies -> link_source

link_source notifies -> link_target_1
link_source notifies -> link_target_2
link_source notifies -> link_target_3

Flipping it around to "subscribes" might make more sense if these get too unwieldy.

-s