[chef] Re: Using resources in a library?

  • From: Nate Meyer < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Using resources in a library?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 00:20:14 +0000

So it looks like if I move the relevant bits inside of the class's initialize method, it works. Feels like the wrong to do it this though. Still curious about any opinions on the "right" way to do this.

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to add a gem dependency to a library. I found a couple conversations talking about using resources in libraries in my travels:

In both, the most reasonable advice is to create an instance of the resource's class and call #run_action(:whatever) to get it to execute immediately. From my testing, this doesn't work, with the problem specifically being this code snippet and error: https://gist.github.com/notnmeyer/04bc1c0be0e41504cd62

My first thought was to pass it run_context... But there's no run_context at this point for me to pass to the resource's constructor.

To demonstrate in further detail, I put together a quick cookbook with a Test Kitchen suite: https://github.com/notnmeyer/gem-dep

Any thoughts? What's the proper way to immediately execute a resource during compile time?

Thanks!
Nate