- From: AJ Christensen <
- Subject: [chef-dev] Re: CHEF-2988 allowed_recipes, restricted_recipes, and override_recipes
- Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 10:18:54 +1300
I want to reopen the original discussion with a response to your
queries to try and get this moving some more:
On 22 March 2012 08:06, Bryan McLellan
> Let's talk about this patch and what the design gives us versus what
> it locks us into.
What the design gives us:
- The ability to implement via local policy a non-ideal pragmatic
approach to restricting run list components during various convergence
- A "straw man" fix to non-compatible recipe inclusion in the case of
multi platform cookbook metadata dependency, e.g. apt & yum
- Easily deprecated or refactored later on for feature more accurately
satisfying ad-hoc, orthogonal component failure zone separation
Locks us into:
- Clear test coverage of affected features. Code is clear and I have
personally reviewed it and tested many times.
- Potential problems for new users who do not anticipate the correct
behaviour of the run list modifiers or use them by error, e.g. typo,
or cargo-culted configuration template
- Some documentation overhead. Heavywater would be willing to assist
with this, of course.
> http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-2988 - Run List Modifiers
> Provides three new options to modify run lists:
> --allowed-recipes: Restricts what recipes are allowed in the run list
> to only those provided. This restriction is not applied to recipe
> --restricted-recipes: Restricts provided recipes from running. If a
> restricted recipe is a dependency of another recipe, neither are
> allowed to run.
> --override-runlist: Replaces the current run list with provided run
> list. This override is only applied for the current run.
> Bryan McLellan | opscode | technical program manager, open source
> (c) 206.607.7108 | (t) @btmspox | (b) http://blog.loftninjas.org
[chef-dev] Re: CHEF-2988 allowed_recipes, restricted_recipes, and override_recipes, AJ Christensen, 03/26/2012
[chef-dev] Re: CHEF-2988 allowed_recipes, restricted_recipes, and override_recipes, Bryan McLellan, 03/28/2012
[chef-dev] Re: CHEF-2988 allowed_recipes, restricted_recipes, and override_recipes, Akzhan Abdulin, 03/28/2012
- [chef-dev] Re: Re: CHEF-2988 allowed_recipes, restricted_recipes, and override_recipes, (continued)
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.