[chef-dev] Re: CHEF-1065

  • From: Joseph Holsten < >
  • To: Avishai Ish-Shalom < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: CHEF-1065
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 17:11:42 +0000

Doesn't sound worth it to implement this and keep calling it a definition. I'd rather see definitions be deprecated in favor of this new feature than introduce such a breaking change.

--
josephholsten.com

在 星期六, 6月 9, 2012,16:56,Avishai Ish-Shalom 写道:

http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-1065

Fixing this ticket will resolve many issues and inconsistencies, will add the ability to notify/subscribe to a definition, use normal meta parameters (ignore_failure, not_if/only_if) and resolve scoping problems.

However: the fix for this ticket is a major and breaking change!!! Resource providers are evaluated at the converge stage while definition block (old implementation) are evaluated at recipe compile time (and recipe scope). Many cookbooks use this as a feature and use recipe DSL statements, e.g. include_recipe in runit_service definition.

The above patch will break some cookbooks so there is a decision to be made here. Do we resolve this ticket and fix cookbooks, implement a fallback to old behaviour or skip this feature altogether?

--
Regards,
Avishai