[chef-dev] Re: 回复: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CHEF-1065

  • From: Jay Feldblum < >
  • To: Joseph Holsten < >
  • Cc: Avishai Ish-Shalom < >,
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: 回复: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CHEF-1065
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:06:33 -0400

Joseph,

I don't think we should remove definitions. I think we should keep them, and I don't think we should change them at all. They are very useful exactly as they are.

If we changed them or got rid of them, then we'd just do the same thing that definitions used to do, but we'd have to do them long-hand in library methods for lack of a more-convenient DSL, or we'd come up with a new concept and associated DSL called macros, which would do exactly the same thing that definitions used to do but merely under a new name.

Users are confused about definitions, about what they are and how they work. That's a problem. But the cause isn't what definitions are and the cause isn't how they work. The cause is the fact that what they are and how they work isn't explained clearly in the documentation.

I think the best solution is: the documentation should simply explain what they are and how they work. That the documentation is currently unclear, confusing, or wrong is the actual problem that needs fixing, so that's where the attention should be focused.

The very first line of http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Definitions is already misleading: "Definitions allow you to create new Resources by stringing together existing resources." They do no such thing. Definitions are macros which expand into multiple resources, and these resources are inserted directly into the current run-context's resources-collection. Definitions do not have actions, notifications, subscriptions, or guards (only_if/not_if); only resources have these things, and definitions are not resources. The expansion (running the definition code) occurs during the compile phase, not during the convergence phase: only provider actions run during the convergence phase, and definitions are not providers. Explain that in the documentation - and the problem is solved.

I also think it's important to keep resources and providers separate - i.e., single abstract interface separate from possibly-many backing implementations. Since resources are there to provide an abstraction, we should practice good software development practices regarding abstraction: clearly define the interface, and separate the implementation from the interface. In the long run, the ecosystem will be much better for it. Turning Chef into a glorified script runner is the wrong way to go. The right way to go is to turn system administration into rigorous software engineering with good conventions, defaults, patterns, and practices encouraged that are encouraged and explained by the tooling, the documentation, and the community.

If you're writing a quick one-off LWRP, that's probably the wrong approach. In terms of what currently exists, you'd often be better served with either definitions or ruby_block resources. The pattern of resources and providers - proper abstractions, rigorous implementations to back them - isn't suitable for quick one-offs. It takes a lot more care. The providers that ship with Chef are a good example of that.

Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. Is there room for a new type of element in cookbooks? One, for example, that can help with quick one-off things to be run during convergence? Absolutely. But that's a new type of element in cookbooks. It's an addition to the family. We don't need to sacrifice definitions, or muddy the waters of resources & providers, to build it.

Cheers,
Jay