[chef-dev] Re: Re: storing bootstrap templates in the chef server

  • From: Josiah Kiehl < >
  • To: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • Cc: Joseph Holsten < >, " Dev" < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: storing bootstrap templates in the chef server
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:16:08 -0700

You do want version control, but the same is true of cookbooks as well. I think there's good value in making the templates available on the chef server. In an environment with many engineers, making sure everyone is using the latest template is a hassle. Recently we changed our template and we _still_ get requests asking why they can't bootstrap. "Did you read that email we broadcasted to " "Um... maybe" "Go update your template"

If templates where stored on the server, versioned properly like cookbooks, Operations or whoever can own the template and put out regular releases that people would be able to use without any overhead of downloading the latest version and putting it in ~/.chef/bootstrap.

+1 for storing templates on the chef server, provided they're versioned like cookbooks.