[chef-dev] Re: Re: storing bootstrap templates in the chef server

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To: Joseph Holsten < >
  • Cc: " Dev" < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: storing bootstrap templates in the chef server
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:13:16 -0700

On 2013-09-12, at 15:10, Daniel DeLeo < "> > wrote:

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Joseph Holsten wrote:

We've recently had to do some customization of our ubuntu, centos and windows bootstrap templates. While one of my coworkers was working on one he asked me, “So how do I upload this to the chef server?”

Does anyone else think it makes sense to store bootstrap templates in a chef server? Are there any disadvantages I'm not thinking of?
I think you really want version control and all of the features it provides (history, diffs, etc.) for this sort of thing. So if you're already sharing it via version control, what's the benefit of distributing it by a different mechanism as well?

Well I'd really like to be able to provision boxes from a command-and-control server (rundeck or something). It's annoying to have it pull a git repo just so it can have up-to-date bootstrap templates.
--
~j
could you set up a Ci job for this?

--