[chef-dev] Re: Chef Server 11 doesn't support SLES

  • From: Bryan McLellan < >
  • To: Hui Hu < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Chef Server 11 doesn't support SLES
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:29:50 -0400

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Hui Hu < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Is it due to resource limitation or other reason for not supporting SUSE ?

There's no technical reason. It's a resource limitation insofar as we could spend time improving the Chef Server, or we could spend time testing it on other platforms, and there hasn't been cause to commit to SuSE testing.

Is any plan to deploy Chef Server 11 on SUSE in future ?

There is no current plan to commit to testing the open source Chef server on SuSE.

I found there is a ongoing project to bring Chef Server 11 to openSUSE : http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Chefsystemsmanagement:chef:master is the development project for the latest Chef version available for openSUSE We work heavily on bringing Chef 11 to openSUSE Factory, so development of the erlang-based core Chef packages takes place in devel:languages:erlang

Not sure whether this can be a workaround to deploy Chef Server 11 on SUSE.

 This work looks like its goal is to build native distributions packages for OpenSuSE. Any future work that Opscode does to port Chef to additional platforms will be under our Omnibus packaging. Chef is built on a lot of existing libraries, and we didn't find the time required to package and maintain most of these libraries for multiple distributions to be the best use of Opscode's time. I understand why some people would prefer native distribution packages over Omnibus packages, so we're happy to help the community in each distribution with any problems they encounter while maintaining those packages, but we won't be doing so ourselves.

Omnibus greatly simplifies testing for us because we can control the dependencies, such as the version of Ruby, which significantly decreases the test matrix we need to test for each release. This means we can focus on increasing the quality of our tests over wrangling the breadth of our tests.

--
Bryan McLellan | opscode | technical program manager, open source
(c) 206.607.7108 | (t) @btmspox | (b) http://blog.loftninjas.org