[chef-dev] Idiom for adding a node to a Cluster

  • From: Bryan Taylor < >
  • To: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Idiom for adding a node to a Cluster
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 17:20:25 -0500

I'm wondering what the chef idioms are for a certain problem that comes up a lot when expanding a cluster. Let's say I have some kind of persistence store and I want to enable replication, or add a new node with replication to an already running cluster. The replication will communicate on some custom protocol, but in order to work, I have to move stateful data, like db logs or whatever, from the master to a new node. The master is "the master right now", so it needs to be dynamically discovered, and accessed via rsync or scp, say, to pull the files down. I'm thinking for this I should just provision every cluster node with a fixed static public/private key.