[chef-dev] Re: Idiom for adding a node to a Cluster

  • From: Bryan Taylor < >
  • To: Joseph Holsten < >
  • Cc: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Idiom for adding a node to a Cluster
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:42:59 -0500

I think I've arrived to the point of your 2nd paragraph. It really just comes down to how does an opscode community cookbook set a reasonable default for the backup location. It's easy enough to have the master set up a cron to do a local backup and then copy those files us to this location.

The problem is: where? I see three options:
 1) rsync backup to the chef server. It exists. Otherwise, yuck
 2) provision a node explicitly for this purpose. Also, yuck
 3) Use one of the db nodes for this purpose. Also yuck

Which one sucks least and would be accepted in a pull request? Or is there another way? My assumption is anybody doing this for real, would immediately override the backup location with a "real" location that doesn't suck.