[chef-dev] Re: can add a role under another role ?

  • From: ans < >
  • To: Siddheshwar More < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: can add a role under another role ?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 17:24:42 +0530

Thanks Siddheshwar :)

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Siddheshwar More < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Yes you can.

Actually roles contains other role + recipes, at runlist execution time all roles evaluated in order.

Ex:
Role1 = [recipe[recipe1]]
Role2(contains role1) = [role[role1], recipe[recipe2]]

and your Node runlist contains Role2 then,
at execution time Role2  becomes => [recipe[recipe1], recipe[recipe2] ]
Final runlist contains only recipes.

To add one Role to another Role you can use https://manage.opscode.com/ go to Roles->select role (i.e in which you want add other roles) -> edit -> and then by using drag and drop you can add or remove roles+recipes from runlist

Or

You can use knife plugin to edit role see $knife role --help

Hi All,

Is it possible to add a role directly under another role ?.

Say I have these two roles "myserver_mysql" and "myserver_webservice". created already. Can I add these roles directly under a base role "myserver_all" ?

myserver_all
                  |__myserver_mysql
                  |__myserver_webservice

thanks