[chef-dev] Re: Re: ChefDK Windows Status

  • From: Gabriel Friedmann < >
  • To: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • Cc: chef-dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: ChefDK Windows Status
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 23:03:53 -0500

If you don't kick off the build from a cmd.exe shell, but instead use sh, all your environment vars would already be capitalized. Thus avoiding the issue.

I've been burned too many time by cygwin path magic and .dll dependencies-- so I try to make it all work from native commands as much as possible.

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Daniel DeLeo < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

On Friday, May 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Gabriel Friedmann wrote:

> Before I realized ChefDK was ruby >=2.0 , I documented my work making a dev environment and making omnibus stuff build using Ruby 1.9.3 on windows.
>
> https://gh.riotgames.com/gist/Gabe-Friedmann/3129
>

> Also, I think i've identified a bug in opscode/mixlib-shellout where it might set duplicate environment variables (such as PATH & Path) which causes make.exe and windows build-tools in child processes to break in some cases.
>

> I think i've identified a place to put a fix for the duplicate environment variable bug. In the inherit_environment method. https://github.com/opscode/mixlib-shellout/blob/master/lib/mixlib/shellout/windows.rb#L227-241
>

> Maybe add a test of new varname.upcase against all existing varname.upcase, and delete original if found.
Odd, we haven’t seen this before, though I personally UNIX-ize my windows dev environment pretty heavily so that could be a factor. BTW, that gist is on Riot’s GH Enterprise, might want to put it on the public github if you meant to share it with us ;)

Also, your proposal for a patch to shellout makes sense given your description of the issue.

--
Daniel DeLeo