[chef-dev] chef-rfc: Refactored Chef Client logging (and a new logger!)

  • From: Scott Hain < >
  • To: Chef Dev < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] chef-rfc: Refactored Chef Client logging (and a new logger!)
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 11:16:23 -0700

Hallo Chefs!

I've put together a chef-rfc that proposes a significant refactoring of the way the chef client outputs log information.

The main idea is to replace/deprecate (eventually) the existing logging mechanisms with a framework that is easy to extend (write you own loggers!), easy to configure (add a few lines toa  config file!), and is consistent (what happens if I pass these 3 flags in like this??).

Also as a side bonus, the first logger we'd like to add as part of this is a native syslog logger, which has been a long time coming.

Please feel free to take a peek and as always, comments are welcome!

  • [chef-dev] chef-rfc: Refactored Chef Client logging (and a new logger!), Scott Hain, 07/18/2014