[chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nodejs community CK mess

  • From: Lamont Granquist < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nodejs community CK mess
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 12:28:42 -0700

On 7/18/14, 11:59 AM, Sean OMeara wrote:
The relationship between Chef and the Supermarket has always been that of a programming language to an artifact repository. Chef is to Supermarket as Java is to Maven, as Ruby is to rubygems, as Python is to PyPI, as Node is to NPM, etc.
So, its been nearly a year since Adam pointed out that having one apache cookbook in the universe is a broken model and we still haven't fully accepted that the supermarket-to-rubygems analogy is broken.

Rubygems has it baked in that there's one 'typhoeus' gem and one 'berkshelf' gem, and if you fork things you usually give it a new name -- the Sinatra guys didn't need to fight with the Rails developers over the 'webframework' gem name.

We have a problem that they don't. Looking at them for solutions to this problem is not going to work. Trying to define the problem space to be identical to Rubygems will just ignore the reality that we have a problem that they don't. Looking to them for governance ideas will also likely not work -- and Noah pointing out that PyPI doesn't really have any solution to this problem I think is an indication that they don't really have this problem in the same way that we do.

The other way around this is that we start giving clever names to all our cookbooks that have nothing to do with the 'upstream' thing that we're trying to manage (which i don't think makes any sense).