[chef-dev] Proposed RFC for Ubuntu init service checking.

  • From: JJ Asghar < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Proposed RFC for Ubuntu init service checking.
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:27:48 -0500

Hey everyone,

I have opened up PR 44[1] in chef-rfc to attempt start a discussion on how services should be handled.  This issue was noticed as I attempted to write a cookbook that supported Ubuntu 12.04, 13.10, and 14.04.

The TL;DR is basically: you can have any of 3 different ways to start/restart/stop services in these three different releases and chef can't figure out which one without some manual intervention.

Eventually we could leverage this RFC to help out more distros and abstract away some of the complexity that is init systems.

I'd love some discussion about this, and also I'd like to thank Seth Thomas (cheeseplus) for being my sounding/editing board on this.  I would also like to thank Steven Danna (ssd7) for pointing me towards Lamont's fix.

[1]: https://github.com/opscode/chef-rfc/pull/44

--
Best Regards,
JJ Asghar