[chef-dev] Re: Proposed RFC for Ubuntu init service checking.

  • From: Lamont Granquist < >
  • To: JJ Asghar < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Proposed RFC for Ubuntu init service checking.
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:35:14 -0700

On Fri Aug 15 11:27:48 2014, JJ Asghar wrote:
Hey everyone,

I have opened up PR 44[1] in chef-rfc to attempt start a discussion on
how services should be handled.

And technically, this is more than that. It means that we can stop tying a single provider to a given resource on a given platform. The proliferation of different init systems lately just makes the service resource a particular pain point. We should also be able to deprecate the Chef::Platform provider mapping (although I wouldn't bother ripping it out for quite awhile, since there are providers in cookbooks out there which expect to be able to inject mappings into it (e.g. mysql cookbook). Since this code is added at the provider mapping level it means that it'll be transparent to ChefSpec as well and won't break anything.

I haven't tried writing an LWRP with the new methods to see how those work, but supporting LWRPs should be included in the definition of done.