[chef-dev] Chef Repo Force Push Post Mortem

  • From: Tyler < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Chef Repo Force Push Post Mortem
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 14:59:40 -0800

Hello everyone,

On November 19th a Chef branch was accidentally force pushed to master, causing existing pull requests to include unnecessary diffs. We discovered the issue, rolled the git tree back to the correct state, and applied the commits which were originally meant to be included.

Because this has occurred before we want to hold a post mortem to generate action items to prevent it from happening again.  And because this interfered with public repo commits and pull requests we are going to hold it publically.

I will use a Google Hangout On Air to facilitate the meeting.  It allows unlimited viewers on Youtube but only 15 active participants.  Because of this, please only join the `participant` link below if you would like to speak.  Any number of viewers are invited to join!

December 1st, 2014
2pm - 3pm PST

Thanks!
-Tyler

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:Chef Master Branch Force Push Postmortem
METHOD:PUBLISH
BEGIN:VEVENT
TRANSP:OPAQUE
DTEND:20141201T230000Z
UID:

DTSTAMP:20141120T224729Z
  messed up diffs in PRs\n\nView event in Google+: https://plus.google.co
 m/events/c2nneljifgdd51gev0e95gv3860
URL;VALUE=URI:https://plus.google.com/events/c2nneljifgdd51gev0e95gv3860

STATUS:CONFIRMED
SEQUENCE:1
SUMMARY:Chef Master Branch Force Push Postmortem
DTSTART:20141201T220000Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20141120T224729Z
CREATED:20141120T222454Z
ATTENDEE;CN="
 ";CUTYPE=INDIVIDUAL;PARTSTAT=ACCEPTED;ROLE
 =REQ-PARTICIPANT;X-NUM-GUESTS=0:mailto:

BEGIN:VALARM
X-WR-ALARMUID:57C09805-F200-4274-813A-8870741CA15A
UID:57C09805-F200-4274-813A-8870741CA15A
TRIGGER:-PT10M
ACTION:DISPLAY
END:VALARM
BEGIN:VALARM
X-WR-ALARMUID:1BAFAB78-DF92-48CE-9C04-E3F87B5E217B
UID:1BAFAB78-DF92-48CE-9C04-E3F87B5E217B
TRIGGER:PT0S
ACTION:DISPLAY
END:VALARM
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

  • [chef-dev] Chef Repo Force Push Post Mortem, Tyler, 11/24/2014