[chef-dev] Re: Dependency problems with recent gem releases of ohai and mixlib-shellout

  • From: Serdar Sutay < >
  • To: Serdar Sutay < >
  • Cc: Chef Dev < >, Client Team < >, " " < >
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Dependency problems with recent gem releases of ohai and mixlib-shellout
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 08:23:22 -0800

Ohai chefs,

Yesterday we have a postmortem about the recent issues we had with ohai / mixlib-shellout releases.

You can read about the details of the issues in this blog post: https://www.chef.io/blog/2014/12/02/postmortem-ohai-mixlib-shellout-gem-release-issues/

Issues are now mitigated with yanking ohai 7.6.0 version and releasing an ohai 0.8.1 (needed to skip 0.8.0 due to a tagging issue).

In our postmortem we've decided to implement these corrective actions:

* Fix all the omnibus projects that are pointing to `mixlib-shellout 1.6.0` [Done]
  * opscode-omnibus - Fixed. Thanks @marcparadise.
  * omnibus-delivery - no issue
  * omnibus-supermarket - no issue
  * omnibus-pushy - no issue
  * omnibus-reporting - no issue
  * omnibus-sync - no issue
  * omnibus-ha - no issue
  * omnibus-harmony - no issue
  * omnibus-chef-server - no issue
* Yank the `ohai 7.6.0` gem from rubygems. [Done]
* Release ohai with a new major version bump. [Done]
* Bump the version of rubygems and bundler that ships in Chef Client 11 omnibus packages in order not to ship a buggy version of these tools. (https://github.com/opscode/oc_post_mortems/issues/73)
* Policy to bump the versions of the tools in Chef packages during minor releases as long as they are not breaking backwards compat [Done]
* Update the mailing list with the corrective actions on the issue. (https://github.com/opscode/oc_post_mortems/issues/74)

Thanks again for everyone's patience with us during the disruption we've caused during latest releases.