[chef-dev] Fwd: Chef Client Now Floats On Master In The Chef Server

  • From: Tyler Cloke < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Fwd: Chef Client Now Floats On Master In The Chef Server
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:59:45 -0700

Hey all,

I just merged a PR [1] for opscode-omnibus (the project that builds the chef-server) that floats the chef-client on master.

Now, every build of the chef-server will pull chef-client down from Github and build a gem that the chef-server uses for things like chef-server-ctl (and thus reconfigure).

This is great, because now we will constantly be getting the new hotness as well as remove an annoying dance to get your client changes into the server, allow your changes to ship in the server with no further action on your part besides merging. When you (or someone else) merges code to master of the chef-client project, they are shipping that code on the server the next time it builds.

Therefore, we must now treat merging code to master of chef-client as shipping that code, so please do all the manual testing and add all the test coverage your change needs before merging :)

Let's get your amazing commits everywhere as quickly and safely as possible!

Tyler Cloke

  • [chef-dev] Fwd: Chef Client Now Floats On Master In The Chef Server, Tyler Cloke, 04/22/2015