[chef-dev] Re: Re: releases, github milestones, etc.

  • From: Thom May < >
  • To: Phil Dibowitz < >
  • Cc: Daniel DeLeo < >,
  • Subject: [chef-dev] Re: Re: releases, github milestones, etc.
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 17:49:55 +0100

I don't think that's realistic though; that hypothetical contributor can't make a good judgement on whether their contribution is gonna go into a patch release or has to be held until the next major version.
That said, I think it is reasonable to have a tag that allows the contributor to nominate regressions.

Semi-relatedly, 12.3.0 is just a point in time on master, with two very trivial changes taken after that fact to ensure we didn't change a public api in the release.
So I think it's reasonable that people know that once their code is merged to master they'll get released in the very next minor version we do.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Phil Dibowitz < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On 04/30/2015 07:39 AM, Daniel DeLeo wrote:
> Absolutely agree. In the past we announced RC freezes on the dev list (at
> least) with some advance notice, usually a week or so. If we just started
> doing that again (at least until we’re shipping from master), would that be
> enough?

I don't think so. For active developers, that'll help, but if I'm a user who
writes a diff, the information I need should be in the PR - I shouldn't have
to correlate the date of the PR with emails. I think the source of truth
should be what milestones I can/did a contributor put on a PR (or some
equivalent).

--
Phil Dibowitz                              ">
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
 and those who matter don't mind."
 - Dr. Seuss