Re: chef + vlad/capistrano?

  • From: Michal Frackowiak <michalf@wikidot.com>
  • To: chef@lists.opscode.com
  • Subject: Re: chef + vlad/capistrano?
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 13:53:21 +0100

Hi there,

we are also looking at Chef + Capistrano deployment for a scalable cluster of servers (in EC2) and we are puzzled about Chef and Capistrano working together. So far we came with a set of cookbooks that configure our servers and Chef really is working great here.

Our first idea is as follows:

1. New instances (nodes) register to chef-server first and get their configuration from there, depending on their type (app, web, worker, db etc). Role is passed as an attribute. We can launch new instances by Capistrano tasks.
2. Capistrano pulls list of :app, :web, :db servers dynamically from chef-server (or another registration server, iClassify?) through the role defer option.
3. We can run cap tasks on the cluster.

Obviously we want to add :app, :web or :worker on-the-fly, possibly with one or two commands, and later move to auto-scaling solutions.

I am not sure if this is an optimal design, and I am sure you already have an idea how Chef and Capistrano would eventually work. Any advice, ideo or a hint would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michal